Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Good luck Mick

Teammate Mick Hellman is racing for his first National Championship today in Trexlertown, PA. Heck, he may have finished already. He's going for the 3km win and I'm doubly interested in his results because I'm the defending champion, and because Mick is so good at this event. I want to send out some good luck his way.

I also wanted to write this note because our team has such a rich history with time trialing. Here are some highlights:
- Mike McCarthy won the UCI World Championships in the pursuit.
- Kent Bostick won the National Championships and went to the 1996 Olympics at the age of 43.
- Tom Doughty was the king of team time trialing, including National Championships and Pan Am Games Gold.
- Wayne Stetina was Tom's teammate for the Pan Am Gold. That's good power for a climber!
- Dylan Casey is the only American to have won both the elite road time trial National Championships and the elite track National Championships.
- Vic Copeland, Glen Hinshaw, Kent Bostick and I have won UCI Masters World Championships in timed events.
- and finally, Leonard Harvey Nitz was a four time Olympian and Pan Am Games Gold medalist. More importantly, he's Mick's coach and I know that he'll bring out the best in Mick.

As best as I can recall Mick has only raced the pursuit 5 times. His first was at the Nor Cal track championships last summer where he was 2nd to a Pro in the elite event and then beat me in the M45 event. He's a natural at this event. Mick has since raced elite track nationals and the Nor Cal track championships again this year. I think he's ready to bring home his first National Championship and I wich him luck!

Lar (flying tomorrow to PA)

No comments: