Thursday, August 2, 2007

Putah Creek Smack Down (PCSD) #4

Smackee's: Craig Roemer and Kevin Metcalfe

Smackee in absentia: Mick Hellman who called in sick

Smacker: Dave "Peg Boy" Bailey



Last weekend in Woodfords and Minden the team came away with four district championship jersey’s. Two in the road race and two in the crit. But who really cares about that when it’s time for the Putah Creek Smack Down? Who cares if you are or aren’t district champion. How did you do at the PCSD? Now that’s an important question…

When I got there, I only saw one car. Dave’s. He was out doing a recon ride. He got back as Craig and I went out to warm up and he informed us that the wind, though light, was the opposite of the usual. The return trip would be the headwind stretch.

I started right before Craig and Dave went about 10 minutes after that. With worlds coming up I wanted to go out full gas to see what I could get away with. I hit the turn around in about 10:10 while averaging 15 watts more than my usual. Unfortunately on the return trip I would pay for it. No matter though, I learned something and my time was still pretty good at 21:21. Craig came in just after me with a 21:27 and we settled in to wait for Dave.

It is tomato season in the farm lands west of Davis. On the way back, about 1 mile from the finish both Craig and I went through a cloud of dust thrown up by a tomato truck coming onto the road. Craig actually had to slow down a bit because of a car that pulled out after. While watching for Dave we saw two tomato trucks heading out. With the riders milling around at the start/finish the trucks took the middle of the road. Dave was forced to slow down in the last 200 meters because he was catching somebody and there wasn’t room to pass with the trucks in the road. I felt kind of bad for him. Until he told me his time. 20:17!!! He took about 27 seconds out of the course record that Mick set a couple of months ago and reclaimed it for his own.

With our trip to worlds, my next shot at the Putah Creek Smack Down will be Sept. 5th. Though the PCSD seems ever elusive, perhaps I can claim a consolation prize at worlds? Hey, Dave’s not going, so at least I’ve got a chance right?

1 comment:

WarrenG said...

If Kevin has been doing his uphill sprints those guys in Austria may be in for a surprise. Who knew Kevin could sprint?!