Wednesday, March 12, 2014

A more efficient recovery

     As a cyclist, I put a lot of time into recovering after training rides and races. This season, I have dedicated a lot of time to creating the best way for myself to recover. When I come back from a ride on a weekday and have a limited amount of time, it is important to know exactly what I need to do in order to gain all the benefits from a good recovery. I start thinking about my recovery when I am cooling down from my ride, and plan out exactly what I need to do. When I get home, the first thing I do is make a recovery drink, and if I don't have any recovery mix, I drink juiced fruits and vegetables instead. Usually, when I get home from a ride it is close to dinner time, but if I was able to start my ride sooner and get home before its time to eat, I will make myself some kind of sandwich to get rid of my hunger. After I take a shower, I try to stretch for at leased ten minutes followed by a short core workout which consists of mostly push-ups, sit-ups, and planks. This brings me to the most important part of my recovery, which is sleep. I have found that if I get anything less than nine hours, I cannot remain focused the next day, so I force myself to go to bed at whatever time I need to in order to get a full nine hours of sleep. Recovery has become a huge portion of my training, and I have noticed huge improvements in my performance. I'm sure that the time I am putting into my performance now, will positively impact my overall performance for the season.

-Neilson Powless

No comments: