Friday, June 1, 2012

Team Camp

This past weekend our team gathered for our pre nationals heat camp. Saturday was the first day and teammates made their way to Jack's house in Fresno for a fun three hour ride that included practicing our bmx skills on a cool track.
After lunch and a swim at Jack's house, we made the drive to Shaver lake and did yard work around the cabin. Any leaf, dead piece of wood, or other item that threatened a fire hazard to the cabin we moved into a big bonfire. The bonfire was really big by the end of Sunday!
The bonfire.

For dinner we had the best elk meat tacos ever made. With 14 of us eating and each of us having between 4-5 tacos we probably ate a whole elk. 
On Sunday the team did a three and a half hour ride, ending it with a climb up Toll House to Shaver Lake. That is a 14 mile climb! While most of the teammates stopped to wait for Marcus to fix his rear derailleur Larry, Oliver, and I kept riding. My goal was to make it to the top first so I could get to the shower before everybody else. Jason and I made it to the top together so I completed my goal.
Before the ride Monday

On Monday we had what would probably be the hardest challenge yet: a four mile climb that averaged 10%. 
The climb. Can you find the two Specialized riders?

I went as hard as I could to the top knowing that if I slowed down I would probably start wobbling and fall over the edge of the mountain. I did not trust my handling skills enough to ride down the side of the mountain so I went as hard as possible and when I puked near the top I knew I had probably pushed myself a little too far since we still had another hour and forty five minutes of riding. That was okay though because I had my Clifbar product to snack on and I was able to ride back to the cabin.
Near the end of our ride Monday

Thank you to everybody who made this camp possible and successful. Thank you to my teammates who made it fun, Larry and Mr. Maddux for organizing it, and our sponsors who make it possible for us to make these great memories.

-Jonathan Christensen

1 comment:

Unknown said...

way to go Jon! 70 tacos are what the Brandt's counted. Thank you to Wayne and Elenanon for hosting Team Specialized