Monday, July 25, 2011

Cascade Cycling Classic 35+ race report

By Chris Lyman

This past weekend teammate Craig Roemer, Morgan Stanley rider Greg Anderson and I headed to the Cascade Cycling Classic for the 35+ race. CCC is a great event with four demanding stages attracting top riders. This year was no different with Northern Cal hardmen Chris Phipps, Andreas Gil, Jonathon Eropkin, Jason Walker, Brian Choi, Matt Carino, Hernando and others, along with Sam Krieg, who won Mt. Hood earlier this year plus numerous past RR and TT podiums at nationals.

I had a fairly hectic work week leading to CCC and arrived feeling like lousy. After a Thursday afternoon pre-race ride I started to wonder if I’d forgotten my race legs at home.

Feeling the same way on stage 1, I decided to stay hidden in the field until the climb to Mt. Bachelor. With numerous teams fielding a full contingent of riders, as long as a break didn’t get away with everyone represented I felt confident playing it safe.

With about 15k to go a serious attack got up the road with Andreas. Veloce, a local team, did a lot of work at the front and caught the break just as we started the last climb. The field was immediately reduced to about 20 riders as a solid tempo set in and I was hit with a nasty calf cramp, which left me struggling to hang onto the back. As it ramped up, Chris Phipps attacked (no surprise) and nobody could follow his surge. Jonathan Eropkin and Sam did a lot of the initial work on the front and kept Phipps :10-:20 in front of us. I joined in and took hard pulls trying to maintain our gap, knowing that if we did by the flat section then we’d be able to bring him back.

Unfortunately none of the 12 or so other riders chipped in when it flattened out and it was left to the three of us to chase until under 1k to go when suddenly all the wheel suckers found their legs. Chris finished :20 ahead and bagged a :10 time bonus, and I knew that was probably too much to give him.

Stage 2 was the TT that climbed 750 feet in about 5.5 miles. Once again my legs weren’t there and I struggled to find a good cadence for the climb. After a grueling 16:38 outbound leg the return was a merciful and fun 8:46 at 38 MPH. Enough to win but the stage but only take back :11 on a TT custom made for a climber like Phipps. That slotted me into 2nd GC with Sam just behind.

Stage 3 was a fast but uneventful crit won by Andreas Gil. Chalk up another W for Nor Cal!

Stage 4 was the Awbrey Butte Circuit Race, a guaranteed sufferfest with sharp rollers, a 1.5k climb and the infamous Archie Briggs, which ramps to something idiotic like 15% before leveling out to a more reasonable pitch.

Before the start I saddled up to Sam and we discussed both being there to win and not finish 2nd or 3rd. We made a truce to not chase each other in order to force a move, and our intent to go out swinging. Sam must have attacked 25 times and Jonathan and Jason continuously peppered the front with moves. While not trusting my legs, I decided to wait until when I hoped Phipps’ team would be softened up.

After a mental error on 3rd lap – going for a bottle just as the lead group surged and getting gapped off – Roemer put in a huge effort to bring me back to the front and I finally found my legs. I started attacking to see who would chase and then Sam and I got into a nice rhythm launching one big move after another. After two final all-chips-in efforts - one bridging solo to Sam as he was left to cook and another to Jason - I had done all that I could and was near the point of cracking. With the two climbs yet to come I tucked in out of the wind and kept my fingers crossed that I had enough to get over Archie Briggs.

Attacks continued but without any real snap as everyone was spent. A small group of about 15 made it over Briggs and headed to the line. I felt enough to reach back for one more effort and was trying to figure out where to make it when a few more guys made it back on and swarmed to the front. A moment of hesitation and the opportunity was gone so I rode to the line knowing and finished with the small group, preserving my 2nd GC.

Andreas did Northern Cal proud winning again while Jason Walker sprinted for 3rd and moved up to 4th overall GC.

Overall it was a great weekend, and ended up resembling an NCNCA event with a Nor Cal sweep:
Stage One - 1st, 2nd & 3rd
Stage Two - 1st & 2nd
Sage Three - 1st, 2nd & 3rd
Stage Four - 1st & 3rd
Final GC - 1st, 2nd & 4th

A special thanks to the O’Shannon family, our gracious hosts who put up with us crowding around the kitchen TV to watch the Tour as we ate breakfast each morning!

Looking forward to heading back for Nats in a few weeks.

1 comment:

TB said...

Hey Chris... nice job over the weekend. Question about your TT - any chance you rode with power and know what your power to weight ratio was from the turn around back to the finish?

I rode Merckx style... and was only 15 seconds slower on the way out then your time, but avg. a slow 30.5 on the way back.

Nice race summary.