Monday, November 29, 2010

off-season: intensity, or long-slow-miles?

Coaches love to argue this one... what's your optimum off-season INTENSITY level?

Since there's never an easy answer on this one I called my teammate Kevin Metcalfe last week to argue it.

Kevin and I have been teammates since 1995. When competitors ask how Kevin puts the hurt on everyone year after year they assume he's a genetic freak that can climb and time trial. Well, the truth is, he works very hard to improve every aspect of his cycling. This guy is more serious about his training than any three racers that I know. You guessed it, Kevin drills it in the off-season. How much is his secret!

What's your off-season intensity look like?

Larry

5 comments:

britCpower aka Mark King said...

Long slow winter miles was the old way but I wonder what value it actually has for seasoned racers other than the social aspect.
if you ride all year long why would you need base miles?
It seems that many pro's still do it so there must be some benefit.

Paul Chuck said...

Kevin's not human. His z2-3 is like my (mere mortal) z4-5. He makes it look so easy although his suffering face does look painful.

Unknown said...

Kevin does have a good pain face. I saw a photo of him while he was lapping the field in the points race at Masters Nationals in San Jose and it made me feel better that he at least had to work hard to get that win!

Unknown said...

Is it true that doing hard interval training in the preseason can actually make you hit your peak too early?

Kevin said...

Who's got the time and day light to do long rides during the week during the winter? 2x20' at about 85% of threshold, M-F, then long rides on the weekend gives me a huge bang for the buck without being too hard mentally or physically.