Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Mount Diablo Challenge

Sunday was the Diablo Challenge. My goal was to break 50 minutes. I followed Kevin to the front row at the start. The first half mile is horrible road. I was worried about getting a flat (got 2 flats there the week before). I led the group through the bumps and then positioned myself near the front of the group. The first half was really hard, but uneventful. Going up the the halfway point Chris Phipps counter one of Kevin's moves. I got on his wheel and he kept surging to and trying to drop me. Soon the two of us had a small gap. I should have stayed steady and dropped off his wheel in the beginning, but I fought to stay on. At exactly the halfway point I fell off. I ended up in the 2nd group. 4 riders were up the road and I was in the next group of 4 with Kevin. We rode hard and I was in the "pain cave". With 4km to go Kevin started surging to drop the Berkeley rider. He dropped me multiple times and I fought to catch up again. In the last few kilometers I tried some attacks, but didn't get far. We finished together up the final pitch. Kevin ended 6th and I finished 7th. I didn't worry about my time during the race, but looked up at the end and saw 48:24 and completed my goal.

At the top all the riders hang out. I saw Matt and Tommy Barger, who are Founders. It was great to talk to them and hopefully I will be able to ride with them this fall.

Thanks to Kevin, Rob, and Peter for all their help getting ready for and during the Diablo Challenge. In Septemeber, when I asked Kevin and Rob about strategy they told me how to race near the top. I thought I would be dropped and by myself for most of the climb. It was motivating knowing that they thought I could stick with them and the other fast riders.

No comments: