Wednesday, July 14, 2010

National Criterium Championship

It was a 20km race, with lots of turns. Matt and I didn't get the best possible start at the line, but we were o.k. There was a crash right off the line before the first corner. I got stuck behind the crash. I had to chase for the whole race, but then I found myself in fifth wheel. I stayed here for a lap because everyone was yelling at me to stay. We came up to 2 to go. I waited, until right after the second corner I attacked, not knowing how close the group was ahead of me. I was almost there, probably 2 seconds off. I talked to Dylan Drummond and Matthew post race and they said there was somebody chasing me from behind so they didn't change their pace so I could get on. I was at my limit during the attack, putting everything I had into those pedals. I started the race in 70th place and finished 7th. After the race, I couldn't even drink a coke without getting nauseous. Every race I did at Nationals, put me at my limit. It was a great time. I want to say thank you to Larry for the team talks, and to Billy for working on both my road and TT bikes.

-Jack Maddux

No comments: