Monday, May 24, 2010

Panoche Road Race

Sunday was the Panoche Valley Road Race. Peter, Andrew, David, Daniel, James, and I raced 67 miles in the 17-18's field. The real racing began when we got to the climb. Andrew made a strong attack and got a decent gap. Shortly after, Peter bridged up to him and the gap began to increase quickly. The rest of us covered attacks. With about 26 miles to go, Peter and Andrew's gap was up to 4 minutes. I looked at the faces of other riders and saw that they were hurting from the harsh headwind so I attacked. I looked back and realized nobody was on my wheel and the field wasn't chasing. I put myself into time trial mode and after 6 miles, the gap between me and the field was at 1:30. With 2 miles to go, I finally reached Peter and Andrew. We agreed that Peter would take the win, Andrew would take 2nd, and I would take 3rd. After crossing the line, we waited a few minutes for the rest of the team to come in. David won the field sprint, James finished 6th, and Daniel finished 8th. What a great weekend!

No comments: