Thursday, August 6, 2009

Nationals Crit 17-18

On the day of the Nationals 17-18 Criterium things were going very well for the team. Charlie had won the 17-18 Time Trial and Marcus and James both got close to the win in the 15-16s Criterium, not to mention that we had achieved a season long goal of shaving everyones head. Joel and I were the only two racing in the final junior event at Nationals and I hoped to continue the team’s success. The start was faster than I expected, but I soon found a comfortable place in the field. Joel moved me up on a couple occasions when I moved too far back in the field. This type of teamwork is rare at Nationals where everyone wants a good result for themselves. With twelve laps to go a break of three riders that would end up staying away was about 15 seconds up the road. And 10 seconds up the road was another chase group of three. I bridged up to this group, but our group was caught by the field with 5 laps to go. I recovered for the sprint and finished 9th to cap off a successful Nationals.

No comments: