Tuesday, July 8, 2008

USA Cycling West Coast Development Camp


The original intention was to get this photo (courtesy http://www.kateburgess.com/) and one of the 30 rider diaries up on the Pez website. This note should have been posted weeks ago but our June 15-20 camp was followed by a camp for women riders and then Claire flew off to Australia for an extended vacation. Unfortunately Claire has the majority of those stories. Fortunately, I had Eddie Zhang (San Jose BC) and junior teammate Marcus Smith send me theirs directly. Eddie's write-up has been sent to USA Cycling for posting to their website while Marcus's will be posted here in the comments section.

I had an absolutely wonderful time at camp. These 30 young athletes all exceeded my expectations and give our sport a whole bunch of hope for our future.

A big thank you goes out to teammates Mike McCarthy (1988 and 1996 Olympian, 1992 World Champion) and Leonard Harvey Nitz (1976, 1980, 1984 and 1988 Olympian) for their inspirational talks with the riders. I would personally like to thank Paul Craig at Rudy Project (http://www.rudyprojectusa.com/) for supplying us with 22 sunglasses and product for the General Classification leaders. Thank you also to the Northern California Cycling Foundation (www.NorCalCF.org) for the generous cash donation which helped to purchase gift certificates for the GC leaders. The GC was a week long competition based on all of the events that were held during the week. The two USAC field tests were weighted more than the other events due to their importance, but as you read Marcus' and Eddie's diaries you will learn of the other fun events we held during the week.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Junior Teammate Marcus Smith camp diary

Sunday, June 15
I raced in the 13-14s at Nevada City. All of the junior categories started together. I was dropped during the second lap and was lapped twice before the end on the race. I wasn’t happy when the peloton lapped me the first time. Later I saw 2 laps the go but during the end of the lap the pack passed my group in their sprint. This was great because I didn’t have to do another lap. I didn’t know it at the time but I was the first 13-14 to finish.
Directly after the race I got into the car and drove to Sonoma State for the Regional Camp. Next, Larry Nolan led an exercise where we wrote down why we want to suffer. Now whenever the group is going hard and I want to quit I will think about the list. Then we brainstormed different warm-up strategies for

Monday, June 16
In the morning Mrs. Nolan lead us in stretches and some core workouts. After the ride we rode to the 3k TT course. We all completed the TT. I felt like I did good but not great. We came back to camp and had Nutrition presentation by Dr. Stacy Sims. She taught us that we should eat protein within 30 min. of the end of the ride in order to replace the cortisal in my body. I thought that was a good idea when she told us that chocolate milk is a good source of protein. I also learned that it is better to eat often rather than a few large meals. Afterwards we had a presentation by a UCI commissaire.

Tuesday, June 17
We had our first of three relay races. Next Marvin Zauderer taught us how to think while riding and racing. We then made teams and strategies for the junior crit later in the day. I helped manage the front of the pack. My team finished first and second.

Wednesday, June 18
We had our second relay. Some of the different events were to put on arm warms and the last event was a victory salute. Then we had a presentation from the USADA. He presenter talked to us about the testing process.

Thursday, June 19
We had our second TT. It was 3 mile but had some 30% grades. The course fit me prefect because I am a small climber. I had a good time. Next, we had to go down the hill. It was on my brakes most of the time because it was so steep. Next, Mike McCarthy came and told us his story followed by Harvey Nitz. He told us about some of his races.

Friday, June 20
First we had the GC awards. We earned points for it in every event throughout the week. Next, went for an easy ride. Then we washed our bikes and had a final check-out.