Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Just when I get use to riding on the left, looking over my right shoulder, staying to the left when turning left, crossing all the way across traffic when turning right, giving way to the right, legally riding two abreast or more, weet bix, vegemite, meat pies, pasties, sausage rolls, iced coffee, and Cooper’s Red Ale it’s almost time to leave Australia. The last three weeks have flown right by… As my time in Oz comes to a close, I’m already making plans to be back here again next year. Anyone interested in coming along?
I stayed in the Hills above the city of Adelaide, South Australia (about 500m above sea level). Here the riding terrain is vast and varied: flats to 25 minutes climbs. It was like being in Napa without the cold rainy weather.
My motive for coming to Australia was simple: ride, eat, drink, socialize, and repeat. Following the Tour Down Under was far less important. Although, during the TDU I took kindly to photography: www.pezcyclingnews.com/cgi/gallerypicget.asp?pic=http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/babes/babes08/dunder08-3.jpg I got my socks…
Along with the Pro Tour race, there was a Veterans (Masters) Race Series: 80km road race, 24km time trial, and 5 laps on the stage 6 TDU downtown circuit. Not boring you with details, I ended up second in the RR, 3rd in the time trial (without a TT bike), and crashed out with 1km to go in the circuit race.
The South Australia Veterans Cycling Council (SAVCC) and its cast of characters are amazingly similar to NCNCA. Aside from having fewer members with strange accents and quirky phrases, I felt like I was in Cali.
Other cycling sites along the way:

Provided that the weather is good, I will be at the Early Bird Crit on 2/3. If it rains, I’ll see you in Merced.
Cheers
Craig

No comments: