Wednesday, September 19, 2007

2007 Jr Road Nationals

Junior Road Nationals 2007

Ben Barsi-Rhyne 17-18

Time Trial: The equipment I was using was a 2006 Trek TT bike with a Zipp rear disc and Hed-3 tri-spoke front wheel. My time was 27.29. The time trial started with the usual hour long warm up which was pretty uneventful I talked with some of the guys I spent time with in Europe. I was excited for the time trial because it would be the first time I would be riding my new TT bike and a disc not to mention the front tri-spoke. I was chasing Danny Summerhill which was good for me and ended up in 34th place. I think I could have gone much faster because my cranks locked up trying to accelerate out the first turn around. My pedals also locked up a few more times throughout the race causing a loss of about a minute (would have put me in the top 10). Overall it made me excited to do time trials and wanting to work on that in the off season.

Road Race: The equipment I was using was a 2007 Trek 5.5 Madone with Cane Creek Aros 58 carbon wheels. The race was a very hilly course and was either up or down. There was a large crash supposedly involving upwards of 70 people including Justin Williams (deep lacerations to leg), David Talbot (broken collar bone), Alex Wick (broken collar bone), as well Andy Goessling (lacerations to face and danger of losing an eye). I was dropped on the last climb of the final circuit before the group reached the final stretch. I finished 67th place soft pedaling the last 12 or so miles to save my legs for the upcoming week long stage race in Quebec. Still feeling kind of burnt from my stint in Europe.

No comments: