Thursday, February 8, 2007

Pro Camp

Hey Guys,
I received the amazing opportunity to join some of the masters and juniors on the team down in Solvang with the Pro's. It was a blast I was in complete awe of what was happening around me. When we first got to the pro's hotel we all were introduced to Johan Bruneel and some of the other guys hanging around the mechanics. This was a guy that I had only seen on television and I just didn't know what to say when he shook my hand. The second major shock came when Mike brought George Hincapie to the back of the group to meet some of the juniors. I almost fell of my bike right then and there, but luckily I got control of myself. I was thankful that I wasn't screaming like a school girl that just met one of the backstreet boys. Davis was motoring up the hills and even attacked the pros on a climb, but they didn't counter. He had a close call the second day when he almost put Ekimov into a ditch, but Ekimov only shook his head and smiled. We also had a lot of fun at dinner where the junior team really bonded and had some fun joking around. The fact that I rode with some of the best cyclists in the world still has not really set in. Thanks for the ride Mike, and also to Wyatt for setting the whole thing up. Oh yeah and Borat was a great idea Davis and Charlie.

Ben Barsi-Rhyne

1 comment:

Unknown said...

14 years with this team and this was my 1st Pro camp... talk about a school girl!

Memories for this master:
- stormtropper hair!
- Pro team time, 10am = 10am (nice)
- CHP stopping us for a car commercial shooting
- riding on 101 (vs. cars going 70mph)
- lunch with the Pros (what a spread)
- Pro water bottles for all (thanks Julian)
- Mike and Dylan chat with the juniors
- watching the local news and seeing the juniors on TV
- sunglasses at dinner?
- meeting and riding with Morris (AMD main man)
- meeting and riding with Kevin Livingston!
- driving back with Joel and Daniel and talking about our favorite movies and upcoming races.

Fun times! Lar