Saturday, February 17, 2007

Discovery Channel Training Camp

The Discovery Channel Pro Cycling Camp was, in the words of Borat, "Great sucess".

First off, thanks to all the Masters on the team for putting this together for us and helping us get there. Without these guys...well without them I wouldn't be writing this, so thank you Wyatt, Larry, Mike , Dylan, Jeff and Rob. I hope the juniors appreciate all that you guys are doing for us.

I won't go into extreme detail about the whole camp but I will tell about the parts that really stuck out to me, or were really excititng.

Probably the most fun I had was riding, as well as just being with my new teamates and the Masters on the team. Trust me, riding with the pros and watching them work together, weather it's how smooth they rotate or the speeds they travel at, was something that you don't get to witness everday. It was quite an honor to be able to go to something like this.

But, being able to talk to the pros on a one to one level wasn't something we got to do. Conversing with my teamates on the other hand was something I did, and I really enjoyed just spending time with the guys.

OK, enough of that. The one memory that really stuck was first riding into the Disco team area. There were camera crew guys there, as well as reporters and regular civs just waiting around
for Ivan Basso to come out. The mechanics and all the bikes were out. The huge bus that stores
all the equipment was there with the monsterous Discovery on it. Davis got interviewed, a couple of us got asked where we were from, the camera guy was recording us ...it was great!

On top of all that, Johan came over, greeted us and thanked us for coming. I was like, "Dude"!
We should be thanking you"!

When the pros came out and we left for the ride, it got more hard than not, but Davis kept things entertaining for us. That guy has as much energy as Robin Williams. I am looking foreward to racing with him.

I really was impressed with the strength of Davis and Charlie. They were the only juniors to finish the first day which was 4.5 hours and Charlie didn't get dropped on that one climb the second day when all the other juniors did.

My best memory was on the second day when we got to talk to Kevin Livingstone for the whole ride. He talked to us about racing in Europe and what it's like to do the Tour. It was totally awesome that he was willing to ride and talk with us. I thought we were getting annoying with all the questions we were asking him but he took it all with ease.

All in all, the camp was really hard but totally awesome and we all learned alot. I won't be a junior next year but I hope they do it again for all the other aspiring juniors

Thanks again,

Micah

No comments: