Thursday, May 15, 2014

Keep Calm and Carry On

Every race you start, you should have a plan.  You should be able to envision how the race is likely to play out and what you can do to maximize your chances to win.  However, bike racing rarely goes to plan.  In the end, you need to stay calm, read the race, work with your teammates, and take advantage of opportunities as they arise.

Last week we raced the Berkeley Hills Road Race.  Baker, Buckley and I went up against several teams with larger numbers, so the plan was to be attentive with the breaks and wait until the final lap as attrition should dwindle the field.  However near the end of the second lap our field got mixed in with the field in front of us and a small group of riders from the main teams got away without representation of our team.

My first thought: 'damn, I missed it.  Now I have to go.'  So I got to the front.  I attack.  I pull.  It really doesn't get me anywhere.  As the field regrouped, Buckley and I checked in and worked our way near the front.  It was unlikely that the two of us would be able to pull back the break and still finish well, so the goal became creating an advantage for us.

On the back side of the course, Buckley was the first to go, lining the field out for about a km.  I was able to slot in about 10th wheel and as the paced slowed, I hit it.  With other teams busy reacting to my teammate, I was able to get away solo and work on bridging to the break up the road.

Fortunately I had the legs to make the catch and out climb the breakaway riders on the final hill.  But what made the day was how we worked together to turn a disadvantage into our advantage.

Carry on,

Jeromy






No comments: