Sunday, December 8, 2013

Variety

          At different times of the year I am a totally different athlete. My summer is normally dedicated to road and mountain cycling and the fall is my bmx season. These two sports have few similarities other than the fact that they are on a bike. My training is far different, as bmx is explosive and road requires endurance. I have bmx raced since I was 5 and it has given me the bike handling skills to help in all types of cycling. Every year the window of my bmx season shrinks a little bit. Sean is another bmxer turned roadie and I'm sure he agrees it gets hard to train for both. My focus is definitely shifting over to road as I get older. I am not built like the prototypical bmxer, as the professionals are often built like football players. As I get older the competition keeps getting bigger and this makes it hard to keep the same power as I am built like an endurance athlete. I have been transitioning to road the last few years and it's been a natural transition. Bmx has helped my road cycling in many areas. Each one has also helped the other for me. This variation throughout my year and during my road off season is refreshing and fun. I will always enjoy bmxing even though I won't continue it at a high level years from now. These two types of cycling are so different and it's the variety that is so special in my life.

-Christopher

No comments: