Sunday, October 13, 2013

Growing Up Stinks

Famous basketball player Michael Jordan said it all when he said, "In reality, I never want to grow up." At 16, I can say growing up sucks. I realized this as I rode the Grizzly Century this year. I've ridden the Grizzly many times before. I first did this ride when I was only 12. I was the little guy surrounded by many young mentors. These mentors were all young, single guys just out for some friendly competition. In 4 years so many things change. Now those young mentors are all married and becoming fathers. I'm no longer the little guy who needs a push up the climb. I'm now the guy to chase up the climb. My parents no longer have to take me to the rides, I'm now driving the carpool to the rides.

Things change, circumstances may change, but somethings will always be. Team Specialized will always be a part of my story. I grew into the person and rider I am today because of Team Specialized. I learned how to have fun both on and off the bike from Larry Nolan.

 I learned how to race with integrity, dignity and competitive intensity from the masters on my team.  I made mistakes over the last 4 years (remember our first Snelling Road Race, Matt?)  but I also shared some of the sweetest victories with my team, the most notable victory  happening in July when Matt and I won the Madison at Track Nationals. Matt and I practiced so much, I thought my arm was going to fall off.
 Besides winning the Madison, the other victory I'm very proud of was when  Matt won the state crit in 2010. We surprised everyone with a leadout out of  the last turn. Matt won and I got 10th. That was the sweetest 10th place ever.
Things may change, but the fact remains that I will be forever grateful to Team Specialized for giving me the opportunity to be a part of a racing family that helped mold me into the person I am today.

No comments: