Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Never Give Up


            I’ve given some thought on the many experiences I’ve had in my cycling career. Some were good and some were bad. One of the lessons I’ve learned is to never give up on anything.
            This years Madera Stage Race was an eye opener for me and my team. For some reason, I wasn’t able to finish the road race. That day I quit on myself and my team way too soon. That was a true wake up call.  After I gave it good thought about why I quit on myself that day and had a talk with my coach, I was determined to give it my all from now on.

The following weekend was the San Dimas Stage Race was a true test of my will. After fighting and pushing myself all weekend, I ended up finishing that stage race with a top 20 finish. If there was ever a weekend to test my determination, this was definitely the weekend. We raced under epic weather conditions….a cold, windy, and rainy road race. I pushed myself during the road race to make it to the crit with my team on Sunday. That was a hard target for most racers on that day.

The next test came about a month later at our 2nd team priority race of the year, the Sea Otter Classic. In the Circuit Race I was stuck chasing for 2 laps because I had a mechanical, dropping my chain. I didn’t give up chasing because I knew my team needed me at the end of the race for extra help. After I chased hard and caught the group, I then lost contact again with my team race captain, Matt. I knew that I had to keep going to get him back into the race. We worked together and caught back up with one lap to go. He ended up getting a solid 4th place and I finished in 8th. I’m so glad we didn’t give up.
The following day we had the road race and I was positioned in a chase group of 4 for most of the race. I pushed myself to keep going because I knew I had 2 other teammates with me who could do well in that race. I didn’t give up because I knew that my teammates counted on me there for extra help. I finished 6th behind Diego (5th) and Jack (3rd). A solid result for the team.
My lesson from Madera Stage Race was quickly learned and seems to have paid off in the long run. This was a real mental boost and confidence builder. It has brought me and my team good results, team recognition, and displayed good teamwork among ourselves. I encourage all who read this to just keep going and not to ever give up on yourself or others so easily. Fight to the end and finish the race…all you have to do is believe.
With that, I leave you with this note that my little brother wrote recently…

Thanks for reading,
 Nicholas (Nick) Castellano

1 comment:

Unknown said...

very well written Nick. Way to inspire Jeremiah!