Thursday, June 2, 2011

Europe

Wake up at 8 am.  Jump out of my bed.  Eat my muesli and yogurt for breakfast.  Ride at 10.  Chill for the rest of the day.  A usual day in the National Team House in Izegem, Belgium.  This was a great experience for me to be on the junior national team.  I raced with 5 other team mates, Austin Boswell, Kristo Jorgenson, Erik Volotzky, Ben Wolfe and Team Specialized's very own David Benkoski.  We raced the 3-Ettapen Rundfahrt Frankfurt, Germany and the Driedaagse van Axel, Netherlands.

Europe really is a different place; the food the culture and the customs are different than ours in the United States.  The biggest thing I found that was different was the roads.  Although they still drive on the right side of the road, I found the road to be extremely confusing which I have to say is a good thing I wasn't driving!  I found myself very confused most of the time in Europe surrounding simple things like roads.  Pasta, bread and oats in different form became a staple of my diet (not that they aren't already).  During my stay at the hostel in Frankfurt I had pasta for every meal for three days straight and I actually got sick of it! Europe all and all is a great place to visit and I found it a huge honor to be invited to race there.  Staying at the house is really a great lifestyle.  Your only obligations are to ride your bike, eat and do an occasional load of laundry.  I am looking forward to my next opportunity to race across the pond! I want to thank USA Cycling and Team Specialized Racing for making my Euro trip possible!
-Dean

No comments: