Monday, April 11, 2011

Racing in the South

This weekend I ventured over to Anniston, AL for the NRC Sunny King Criterium and Foothills Road Race. This race was circled and underlined on my race schedule. The day started off with the Juniors race at 11:30. This years 15-18 year old race started off in 80+ degrees temperatures. Promptly after the start, Frazier Cycling animated the race. I would say that I did 85% of the work to keep these riders with in a reasonable distance. As soon as one of the Frazier riders had been brought back, another one went. After bringing them back several times by myself, I decided to let the next attack dangle; letting me keep them in sight with out killing myself on the front. By the end of the race, I found myself on second wheel coming in to the last turn. This race also solidified my confidence in my sprint; taking the win by a bike length.

The major focus of the day was my category 2 race. The race started with 120 riders on a .6 mile circuit. I was very happy with my race. After about 10-15 minutes of racing, I took off on a solo break. Lap after lap went by with a 5-10 sec gap. Meanwhile, in the field, a 20 person crash happened on turn four. As I came through the home stretch the riders were being let out of the neutral pit!  Before I even passed the pit, riders were almost moving at my speed. Those 20 riders filled in the gap between me and the field. At that point, I was not a happy camper. After about 3 laps of rest, I wanted redemption. I chased up to a group of 3 off the front. I restructured their move. Another rider came up to help and we forced the pace, releasing 2 of the original break riders. Another great move with at least 10 seconds or more. Another strong break. This one lasted even longer. But, eventually the field got anxious and brought us back. As a sat in the final 7 laps or so I started setting my self up for the sprint. Coming out of the last turn in a disappointing 15th or so, I managed to make up ground for 7th!

The next day was the Foothills road race.  Just looking at the start list and seeing these teams: Kelley Benefit Strategies, Bissell, RealCylist.com, Chipotle, Pure Black Racing, Pista Palace, Kenda, Jamis, Team Type 1, and Mountain Khakis, I knew it was going to be a tough race. The course featured some tough climbing,  a climb with switch backs and a speedy descent. I knew what I had predicted was correct; a day in the pain cave. But I stayed strong in the pack, racing with guys who make a living doing this! As we hit the final two miles of flat country roads, dropping off the plateau, the racing was fast. I hung in the draft watching what some will watch on TV during the Tour of California. Teams battling for position, bumping, and surging. In the end, Cole House of RealCylist.com took the win, with me spinning away mid pack with 25th place. I was very happy. The race was one of my proudest cycling moments to date.

Next up for me is Sea Otter Classic where I will reunite with my teammates to throw down an onslaught of fury. Not to mention catching up with sponsors! Come check out the demo bikes from the Specialized tent and drop by the team tent. It is sure to be a fun week!







No comments: