Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Masters Track Worlds - Day 1 (Oct 19)

Fags... we'll get to that later.

14 hours of flying to Sydney for the UCI Masters Track World Championships and very little sleep (how do people sleep in an upright position? I can't!). I arrive at 7am, get to the hotel at 9am, build up my bike and get on the veldrome by noon. The 500m (aging does not suit all of us!) is the first event and I've signed up not expecting to do well but to a) gain valuable experience with the start gate, b) to do some opening efforts for my goal event the next day and c) improve on my horrible start in 2008.

Since I had not signed in until a few hours before the event the organizers popped me into the first heat to make it easier if I was a no-show. My 35.8 second effort was the time to beat until the last two heats and then it was crushed. Dave LeGrys from Great Britain won in a world record time of 34.4!

Awards ceremony time and he's not to be found... he was outside smoking! Yes, he's a chain smoker and a world record holder too! "Fags" are slang in both Australia and England for cigarettes ;-)

3 comments:

Frank Eeckman said...

500 m is anaerobic, no lungs needed for that. Guess you can smoke all you want then;)

Unknown said...

agreed... but even anerobic "gods" need an aerobic base!

Frank Eeckman said...

I guess that means that either, this particular guy is not affected by smoking (very rare but possible), or the aerobic base needed for this type of effort is below the threshold of damage caused by years of chain smoking.

In any case, cardiovascular output is more limiting to aerobic efforts than lung capacity per se.