Sunday, July 12, 2009

Bouncing back 101

Three weeks ago I broke my collarbone at Nevada City. Dylan was 1st and Kevin was 3rd in the M35 race and I was in position to win the M45 race (we started together) when I took turn two too fast and dumped it.

Since then I've been doing Tour de France commercial intervals on my turbo trainer. Last weekend I felt so good I started to think about the State Championships that were coming up this weekend. Yes, I'm a goal driven person! How bad could it be to race a 2km time trial?

I won my 101st State Championship yesterday. I'm sorry, but its an occupational hazard to count these things. My first State Championship back in 1991 was a good memory (12 months after getting clobbered by a triple trailer truck) and so is this one! My collarbone is not fully recovered but I'm bouncing back faster than I thought I might. I'm ready to sign up for Track Nationals in Colorado (5 weeks) and give it another go at Track Worlds in Australia (14 weeks).

Political view: I'm in favor of "master" being redefined as a 40+ year old -and- track championships move to 10 year age groups. There were only five of us in the M50-54 2km event yesterday and that was a relatively large field!

No comments: