Saturday, February 21, 2009

Snelling Race Report Jr. 15-16

The race started with a 3 mile neutral ride to the course. When we got to the course, Andrew Lanier went from the gun attacking over and over again with Alistair for the first 2 laps. This was part of the strategy. At about 1/4 of the way through the 2nd of the 3rd lap, I attacked. I stayed out front alone for about 1/4 of a lap. Right after the feed zone, James caught up to me, and about 1 min after that, we saw the pack on our tail and decided to give up on our attack. As I got back in the pack I saw that Alistair and Andrew kept attacking over and over again to make the competition more exhausted, but I noticed, the "stop and go" of this was wearing me out as well. I went to the front to tell both of them to take it easy for a while. As I was doing that I saw Bjorne Fox attacking at full throttle, I was warned before the race that he would be my biggest competition. As tired as I was, I decided to get on his wheel to bring him back. After about 1 min on his wheel I saw how strong he was, and it made me think that we could stay away, I therefore pulled through and started to work a bit. Eventually the ref moto, told us we had put 50 seconds on the pack in about 1/2 a lap. This drove us to go faster. We kept an about 1:15 gap the whole race, and with 2k to go I decided to start the attacks. I went right as he was telling me to pull through. He managed to stay on my wheel so I slowed a bit, and we started the little games of attacking and slowing. Finally with 1k to go I went again, saw him on my wheel again, I slowed again and he passed me, I got on his wheel. He thought he could power me off to the finish, and with 200m to go, I went again giving it all out, and I won!!!
Thanks for reading!

No comments: