Saturday, January 24, 2009

A Special Specialized
It was a beautiful sunny day, the first Saturday in 2009 and Mick and I were hooking up with a relatively new cycling buddy, Ben Capron, the director of global marketing at Specialized at the Java Hut in Fairfax. I was riding the bike on which I put about 20,000 miles a year, my Specialized Roubaix. I mentioned to Ben that for racing I used something a touch less hefty. When I told him what my Specialized Tarmac SL2 weighed he seemed pleasantly surprised. We thought it would be fun for folks to get a look at the ultimate racing machine that gets ridden in every race I do on the road.

For those of you that know me, you’re probably quite surprised to hear that I even fuss over something like bike weight. Here is what goes into a bike the UCI would ask me to add a kilo to so it would conform to bike weight minimums.
Frame: Specialized S-Works Tarmac SL2, Size 49
Fork: Specialized S-Works FACT carbon monocoque fork
Headset: Specialized S-Works Mindset headset
Stem: Ritchey WCS 100mm 6 degree
Handlebars: Bontrager XXX Race Lite 38 cm
Tape: Fizik bar tape
Front brake: eecycleworks eebrake w/ Swiss Stop yellow brake pads
Rear brake: eecycleworks eebrake w/ Swiss Stop yellow brake pads
Brake levers: Shimano Dura-Ace STI Dual Control ST-7800
Front derailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace FD-7800-F
Rear derailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace RD-7800-SS
Shift levers: Shimano Dura-Ace STI Dual Control ST-7800
Cassette: Shimano Dura-Ace CS-7800, 12-27T
Chain: Shimano Dura-Ace CN-7801
Chain Rings: Rotor Q Rings 53/39
Crankset: Zipp 300 crankset and 175 bottom bracket, 170mm
Pedals: M2 Racer ORBII
Wheelset: Lew Pro VT1 Tubular
Front tire: Torelli Lugano Tubular 23mm
Rear tire: FMB Criterium Silk 23mm
Saddle: Fizik Arione Ti Rail
Seat post: Specialized S-Works SL FACT carbon seatpost
Bottle Cages: 2 Arundel Sideloader and OtherSideloader Carbon Bottle Cages
Wheel Skewers: M2 Racer Quick Release

It weighs 12 and ¾ pounds and here is what it looks like:









1 comment:

Unknown said...

great bike. did you have any issues with running the outer rotor ring on your SL2? I've used them on other bikes but on my campy equipped SL2 i can't get the FD high enough to allow the clearence needed for the highest point on the q-ring rotation. any thoughts?