Monday, April 9, 2007

Copperopolis Report by Micah

So my first really hard road race of the year went down the other day when I threw aside all common sense and decided to race Copperopolis in the Cat 3's instead of the Juniors.
I didn't know that Ben was going to be there, or I would have done the junior race so we could work together. But, alas, I knew not and so it was 4 laps of brutal Copperopolis roads, which equals out to about 87 miles of racing.

We started fairly quick going through the feed zone and up the climb, so we shedded some guys but for the most part everybody stayed together for the better of three laps. There were close to 60 starters so it wasn't a problem staying out of the wind and conserving energy, which was very important for a race close to 90 miles.

On the fourth lap though, things really got hot. There were probably 40 dudes going into the feed zone with about 20 coming over the summit of the climb. The amount of pain it took getting over that hill was enough to make me wish I HAD done the junior race. I had done great eating and drinking during the race but the last lap was so miserable that I didn't eat anything. I knew I had to, so as to have some kick at the end but my head was in such a state that eating was beyond me. Drinking was also hard. I just sat at the back and prayed it would end soon.

The funny thing is, the whole lap after the big climb I felt like I was coming out of a coma but when we got to the base of the last short steep climb before the finish, I started to feel halfway decent. I almost considered attacking the small group of 15 or so guys with me but reconsidered and thought to wait for the sprint. Everybody else must have thought the same thing because there were no real painful moves going up it.

The usual crazy descent down to the finish, which I prayed the WHOLE way down...every lap!
Seriously though, I was pretty scared doing 48 mph. down that thing with so many guys around me but it seemed to get easier with each lap.

I actually got a little behind coming down the climb but managed to get back on with 2K to go. I was so tired...all I wanted was my mommy and teddy bear but I knew I had to move up for the sprint. I made it to 4th wheel at 500 meters and was in the perfect position for the finish, when all of a sudden, in a flash...I died!

The guy on the front started his sprint about 250 before the corner and 2nd and 3rd were bumping a little bit. They untangled and 3rd started to fade so I came 'round the outside, dropped it down two gears and started to go for third. Almost instantly my legs bogged down and I was pushing a HUGE gear with my tiny legs after 87 mile s of racing. Not cool.

Third place went out of my grasp and I was passed so gracefully by 4th, 5th and 6th. I, on the other hand, looked and sounded like I was giving birth. The end result was 7th for my longest race so far. I was very pleased though not knowing what to expect from a Cat3 field on that type of course.

What can I say? It was good weather, good racing and good fun.

Micah

No comments: