Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Merco Cred Union Road Race

Close to 75 miles was the estimated distance for the Merco Credit Union RR, formally known as McClane Pacific. I was doing it in the Cat 3's with Dan man, Fabian and about 12 other juniors.
It almost felt like a small junior race with all of us at the front rolling out.
The weather was nice and warm with the sun not exactly shining but breaking through now and again. We started somewhat fast, around 25 to 26 but it really wasn't that hard to hang on considering we had about 120 riders in our group.
The first lap was quick getting sucked along at 28 mph. Just staying in the group saved you like 30% more energy than the guys at the front. There were a couple attempts at a break but since there was no wind with the nice weather, everyone was motivated to chase.
The only excitement in the race was the finish. Only one crash happened, thankfully, and I think everyone calmed way down after like 7 crashes the day before.
Coming up the feed zone hill for Snelling RR with about 3 or 4 KM to go , guys started getting shedded off the back. With two sharp corners right after that, we got strung out a little bit more. I t came back together somewhat before lifting back up. Then we hit the final hill.
Only 40 to 50 dudes were still together for the last hill, which we went up doing 28, so you really just power climbed it. I was on Brian Larsen's wheel moving up on the outside going up the hill, which was a good idea because it was crazy in the middle. I don't think anybody went down but it was totally sketch...again.
At the top of the hill with 400 meters to go I knew I was too far back to contest for the sprint. With 200 to go I tried to come around a few other guys but I had nothing.
I didn't think I would be up there for the finish but even though I had no sprint for the end I still finished in 17th, so I was happy.
Micah

No comments: