Monday, October 13, 2014

Keeping it real...

Debbie and I will celebrate our 33rd wedding anniversary in November.  She is my love, my rock, and she helps me to keep a realistic perspective.  I just finished up a memorable 2014 racing season with four USA masters national championships and three masters world titles in the UK and then came home to her welcoming poster on the garage door.  What a sweetie!  On the other side of the door is a pile of laundry and a floor that needs my attention.  Keeping it real...

Living with Debbie helps to keep me grounded and helps me better direct the junior team.  Every junior teammate has either won a national championship and/ or raced internationally with USA Cycling.  Yet that fact entitles them to nothing.  No promise of a professional contract, no free lunch, and never a sense of entitlement!

I race my bike because I love to stay fit, commute to work and clear my head, keep it social and fun, plus the challenges of competition, and trying to stay fast as I age.  I am not competing with the juniors but we go through similar tests.  I need to look beyond peer racing and race with really fast people so that I can compete at nationals and worlds, not just follow.  I need to continually recreate who I am with my training, life balance and recovery.  I'm up for the challenge and I am so very thankful that Debbie allows me to reach for these goals, race my bike and help juniors as much as I am able.  Thanks babe.  Lar

No comments: