Saturday, April 12, 2014

A time for reflection

As I approach my 49th birthday, I’ve been reflecting (as you do when you get old) on how I got into this sport and what I’ve learned along the way. I had no intention of sharing my story but then I thought it is one contribution I figured I can make to the Juniors as a mentor and Masters as a peer.  
 
As a kid I grew up in Oklahoma on the soccer field and on the tennis court. When there was any free time it was the 12 hour drive to the ski slopes and the mountains of Colorado. Once out of college it was straight back to the Colorado mountains to live longer than intended life as a dirt-bag climber climbing throughout the country, including Alaska. In the winter, it was to work multiple jobs and ski as much as possible. Then, there was no such thing as training for climbing or skiing. It was just get out there and do it…and do it more…and do it more. The goal was to ski as many days as you could or how hard you were climbing which indicates how much you’ve been climbing. There was a solid community of climbers and skiers where we would push each other. That was our training.

I was given a great opportunity to move to the Bay Area for an ideal job in my late thirties that more or less supported my passion. The only thing about having a career type job is that it’s hard to get out there and climb or ski, especially when you don’t have mountains and ski slopes out your backdoor. While it was frustrating not getting out there I saw that there were plenty of other sports to get into that were more convenient. After dabbling in trail running races and an Xterra Triathlon the one thing I missed was a strong community of people to play with (training and training partners was a foreign idea to me).

When I discovered road cycling in my forties, I methodically thought it out. I would ride for several months to just get some basic skills and bike endurance and then enter one race. Road riding and the community captured me just as skiing and climbing did, if not more. It was so brilliant to have a group of riders with you and go hard or easy, talk or gasp for air. The next season I entered a few more races. By 2008, I decided to try for a full season of training and racing and hire a coach for the first time ever. I had no idea what I was getting into with a strict training regimen but it quickly became addictive. I loved training and the discipline it required. Once racing season started I was determined to get as many races in as I could and upgrade within the season. I was focused. I put everything else aside. I was ready to become the dirt-bag racer. There was one problem though; I had a wife, a one-year-old daughter and a full time job. At the end of the season, I accomplished everything I wanted but at a very high cost. Let’s just say I was on the shit list most of the time. But I didn’t care. I was ready to go the next season to do the same thing with the same goals. I trained even harder and was even more amped for the races. The one thing I had lost, however, was the fun of training and racing. I had taken the bike training and racing so seriously because I discovered a strong desire in me to excel. It became a stressor as I was determined to get better and seek my potential. As quickly as I became in love with the sport, I became a mess.

I will never forget the day when I came home from Wards Ferry. It wasn’t a very good race because I had high expectations since I podium-ed the year before. I had knocked my power device off the handlebars and had to go back for it. As I was putting my bike back in the garage, I saw my daughter playing in the backyard with my pregnant wife with the house looking in total disrepair. I cracked! That day I hung up the bike. I was not only fulfilling my responsibilities as a husband and a father of soon-to-be two children, I was not happy. My priorities were way out of whack.

At first, it was an incredibly difficult transition but I soon realized it was the best decision I had ever made. In my mind, the biking was a thing of the past. I was a father and husband first and everything else came after. However, after two years 30 pounds heavier it was time for to get back in physical shape. It is not in my DNA to be sedentary and I didn’t want to be the dad that used to do this or used to do that. I’m a man that lives for today. I also missed my bike buddies, especially Scott Herring. Even though we knew each other in college, we became great friends because of the bike.

In September of 2010, without even thinking about it much I pumped the tires and went for a ride. It felt good and right. I did it again a few days later and then it became a habit. There were no goals and there was no thought of racing. I focused on the moment and enjoyed it tremendously. I started losing weight and eating right. I lost a pound a week. By June, I was back to my race weight and enjoyed every moment of the process. I had more fun on the bike during that time then ever before. Later that summer, I entered Patterson Pass with Scott only to race with him. He was planning on doing two laps of the three to train for Nationals. As you can imagine I popped pretty quickly but that was ok. I enjoyed being out there. I thought maybe there is a place for me here where I can enjoy the hell out of it no matter what the result is.

Soon after, I got on a training schedule with only one goal- enjoy and focus on the process and learn from it. With keeping true to that goal, again, I had more fun on the bike than ever before. I raced some 45+ masters races for the first time and had a blast.

Last year, I decided to commit to my second full race season (2008 being the first) of my short career making an addition to my goal and that I would learn as much as I could from a new community of hot shot racers and, most importantly, friends on Team Specialized. You know what? It was the best and most fun time I’ve ever had racing. I got close to thirty races last year with no real result to brag about. As I long as I focused on the process and continue to see progress that’s all I cared about.

This year I have a little heftier goals but realistic ones as to not interfere my life with my children, my awesome wife, and my job. I can actually say that without any nervous twitch.

Juniors, these masters riders who have years of experience racing, training, and going through the ups and downs of life is invaluable to you. It is to me. I’ve learned so much from these guys not only in tactics but how mindful and relaxed they are about life. They are out there to race hard but all I hear is the importance of having fun. If a race doesn’t work the way they wanted it to. They learn from it and prepare for the next one. It’s been a great opportunity and an honor to be part of this program! Thank you!

Cheers,

Markham

 

 

 

No comments: