Thursday, September 26, 2013

2013





To explain the past racing year you first have to realize that my 2013 journey started in 2012. In the early part of June 2012 my family and myself were gearing up to move to America. In between packing and the generally stressful ordeal of moving houses, I came into contact with Larry Nolan, to us he was just the NorCal junior selection coach. We kept in contact and in early July 2012 our family made the initial move to America. It wasn’t until I finally met Larry at the Davis Criterium that I realized how strong the junior Specialized team actually was, from that moment I knew I wanted to spend my final junior year on this team. During a short visit in July I competed in the Little City Stage Race and the Junior State Championships all of which Larry was watching me, it wasn’t until late October that I was offered a contract with Specialized for the 2013 season.

I spent November through January and into early February in Adelaide racing the Australian National Track calendar, so when I landed in the states for the 2013 season I had good speed with me. I showed this by winning my first race at Cherry Pie, fresh off the plane, with Jet Lag in my legs. I followed this up with a string of wins from Snelling to Land Park and Copperopolis. Then in July this year the team provided me with the opportunity to achieve my first big international win, this was in the Junior Tour of Ireland. I then followed this two weeks later, with a win at the Tour de l'abitibi. My string of wins kept up all the way to the Elite State Champs two weeks ago where I logged my 77th race and achieved my 22nd win of the year, I have 40 podiums and 59 top ten places out all my starts.

These wins ranged from State champs to UCI level races, I wouldn’t have ever achieved such a good season without two people that have been so crucial this year. Firstly my coach Larry Nolan, without him believing in me and coaching me I never would have been able to do the things I have. Larry has provided me with all the support and mentoring a good coach should, but he has also provided me with something I never expected, an amazing role model, both on and off the bike, Larry conducts himself with a dignity and authenticity I haven’t experienced in an official coach. The second person is my Father Ian, Most of you know him but some of you don’t. He has been coaching me on and off the bike for the last 8 years of my racing career, he supports everything I do and this year became a founder for Specialized. Even though he has fully committed the last 8 years of his life to train and educate me he is still finding ways to help me and my team to do the best we can.

Being part of a young development team is such a big learning curve, it’s a time when the riders have to learn how to be a “team”. This program helps to develop racers in so many different ways, by showing them how a team functions and should race, by creating training plans that the riders can set themselves, learning to cook and live away from home. This team lets you experience every different position on the team no matter what your strengths, it also allows you to bond with your team mates, and that is something I can take away from this year. My team mates this year were something special, they all helped me do my very best and I hope I brought out the very best in them. I thank all the riders on this team but especially Matt Valencia, Matt and I were the only two riders in the 17-18 class. Matt helped me out more times than I can remember and I would like to say how grateful I am for his help. If I you don’t have team mates to call your mates then what is the point of being a team?

As an 18 year old I am too old to continue in the 2014 season with Specialized, so shortly I will be graduating the development program and moving on to a new U23 team. I would like to especially thank Wyatt Weisel for all his help in the time I have known him, and the sponsors for our team. Because without the sponsors of this amazing junior development team riders like myself would never have the chance to develop and achieve their goals.

Thank you to the parents and to all involved with the Specialized junior development team.

Regards
Owen Gillott



No comments: