Wednesday, September 7, 2011

The Perfect Race

Relevant story #1 – March 1994 and it’s my first Subaru-Montgomery event with teammates. I lead-out my teammate to the win, and I finish 6th. Shortly after the line my teammate is in my face screaming “we could have gone one-two if you had been more patient!”

Relevant story #2 – December 2010 and I’m asking our junior teammates for their 2011 goals. I give an example so that they have a better understanding of what I want to see. I state that my goal is to help teammate Kevin Metcalfe win the 2011 USA Nationals Road Race. I’ll be able to help if I am fit and smart enough to hang with the chase group as he soars off the front, or win the sprint if he is caught. And, I’ll know I’m fit when my weight is down and my power is up (the Juniors raced on this same course at their 2010 Nationals and it has 300 meters of climbing over each of the 28km loops).

The Perfect Race

Sunday September 4 in Bend, OR. Teammate Kevin Metcalfe and I are lined up with 55 other competitors for the 2011 USA Cycling Masters 50-54 Road Race National Championships. Kevin and I have been teammates since 1995. Our pre-race talk was short and crisp. I’m at his disposal until he launches his move. I don’t need to finish the race to help him. Looking through the starting line-up we calculate that no other teammates will completely sacrifice their race. It turned out that Kevin had a handful of teammates! First, we guessed that Roger Worthington would be highly motivated for this race. When Kevin attacked 25km into the 84km race Roger was all over that move. So too was John Novitsky. When 1st, 3rd and 4th placed riders of the nationals individual time trial go up the road there is no looking back. The three worked together well.

Behind in the chase group Kevin had help from yours truly as well as a certain competitor that tried to lead the chase when the break first went clear. Problem was the “chase” was too aggressive and competitors were unable to pull their share. Next competitor to help Kevin was a big rider that would go to the front and chase for long periods of time. Because he pulled for so long and received little help the breakaway gap opened. Two competitors asked me in the last lap if anyone was still off the front, so that was a big help too. Finally, a competitor wearing compression socks in 90 degree heat would hit the front when the paced slowed and no one wanted to be on his wheel since he rode so unpredictably. It’s the subtleties that make bicycle racing such a great sport!

In the last 10km of the race we get word from the motor referee that Kevin has a “one minute 50 seconds lead” and I swear the whole feed zone could hear my “yahoo!” scream. Now I just needed to shake off the cramps and hope for the best. I suffered well right up to the last climb where Brandon Lofton attacked. I followed him and then sucked out all of the oxygen in that section, and we had a gap. 3km to go. Brandon and I worked together and sprinted to the line. It was a close one!

For Kevin, he won solo by a minute and a half. This was the one that he wanted. He’s won something like twelve Masters National Championships on the velodrome and last Wednesday he won the time trial for his first “road” championship. But winning the USA National Championship road race was his goal. Not only was I happy for Kevin and his winning move, but I was happy to be part of it. One-Two, that’s the “perfect race” to me!

Larry Nolan, Team Specialized

No comments: